Thursday, May 3, 2007

Have We Got a Show for You!

If you have not experienced Veggie Tales, then this whole post will just be lost on you.

I was introduced to the lovable veggies while working at a Christian bookstore. When they first sent the promos, I thought, "You have got to be kidding?! Vegetables that tell Bible stories? This will never catch on!" Was I so, so wrong!

We have been loving Veggie Tales in our household since our oldest son (AKA Harry) was just 2 years old. When Harry discovered the veggies, our lives were never the same. Harry has this incredible memory, and would memorize them from beginning to end. The great thing about this talent of his? He could entertain himself (and us!) on many long car trips, as we "listened" to whatever video he was quoting (including the ad tags at the beginning and end). One of my favorite memories was a trip to the grocery store. Harry still couldn't pronounce his "L" sounds yet. He was still on the ads, and cried out, "And Veggies, the Ward!" (He meant "galore", but thought it said, "The Lord!") Well, anyway. We thought it was cute!

A neat memory: Harry had a friend whose family was Hindu. One day when his little friend was over playing, Harry wanted to watch his newest Veggie video. I wasn't sure that was a great idea, since Veggie Tales are blatantly Christian. I didn't want to offend his parents. I made a quick phone call, and was reassured this was fine. His mom even told me he had received a Veggie Tales video from his grandparents for Christmas! Wow! So you just never know!

Yes, there are times when I'm trying to get one of those Silly Songs with Larry out of my head. I think the worst for me was "His Cheeseburger" (a love song to food!). Still, I'm thankful my kids have this silly series to reinforce the biblical principals we are trying to instill in our kids.

So, thanks, Aunt Christina. You are the one who really started our journey into fun times with Junior, Bob, Larry, and the entire Veggie gang!

P.S. This was my first attempt at adding a picture to a post. Whew! :o)

5 comments:

David said...

Thank you for telling on me about my mispronunciation...not!

Admin said...

it was a cute story, son. you were very little. don't be embarrassed!

Anonymous said...

It was a very cute story. I think it's great you got the picture on there, and shared about Veggie Tales. Hey.....I have a 31 yr. old son-in-law that likes Veggie Tales! I'm sure their baby will get to love them too

Anonymous said...

How could anyone not love Veggietales?! You are very welcome; because
Your his cheesburger...
His yummy cheeseburger...
He'll wait for you-who-who...
He'll wait for you-who-who...
You are his cheeeeseeebuuurrr(really high now) gerrrrrrrrrr!

David said...

Sorry about getting offended, Mom.